|Alice Bailey & Djwhal Khul
The Rays and the Initiations -
Table of Contents
Part I - Fourteen Rules for Group
Applicants: Let the disciple search within the heart's deep cave. If there the fire
burns bright, warming his brother yet heating not himself, the hour has come for making
application to stand before the door.
Disciples and Initiates: Within the fire of mind, focused within the head's clear
light, let the group stand. The burning ground has done its work. The clear cold light
shines forth and cold it is and yet the heat - evoked by the group love - permits the
warmth of energetic moving out. Behind the group there stands the Door. Before them opens
out the Way. Together let the band of brothers onward move - out of the fire, into the
cold, and toward a newer tension.
- For Applicants: When application has been made in triple form, then let the
disciple withdraw that application and forget it has been made.
- For Disciples and Initiates: The Word has now gone forth from the great point of
tension: Accepted as a group. Withdraw not now your application. You could not, if you
would; but add to it three great demands and forward move. Let there be no recollection
and yet let memory rule. Work from the point of all that is within the content of the
group's united life.
- For Applicants: Triple the call must be and long it takes to sound it forth. Let
the disciple sound the call across the desert, over all the seas and through the fires
which separate him from the veiled and hidden door.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Dual the moving forward. The Door is left behind.
That is a happening of the past. Let the cry of invocation issue forth from the deep
center of the group's clear cold light. Let it evoke response from the bright center,
lying far ahead. When the demand and the response are lost in one great Sound,
move outward from the desert, leave the seas behind and know that God is Fire.
- For Applicants: Let the disciple tend the evocation of the fire, nourish the
lesser lives and thus keep the wheel revolving.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group see that all the eighteen fires die
down and that the lesser lives return unto the reservoir of life. This they must bring
about through the evocation of the Will. The lesser wheels must not for aye revolve in
time and space. Only the greater Wheel must onward move and turn.
- For Applicants: Let the applicant see to it that the Solar Angel dims the light
of the lunar angels, remaining the sole luminary in the microcosmic sky.
- For Disciples and Initiates: In unison let the group perceive the Triad shining
forth, dimming the light of the soul and blotting out the light of form. The macrocosmic
Whole is all there is. Let the group perceive that Whole and then no longer use the
thought "My soul and thine."
- For Applicants: The purificatory fires burn dim and low when the third is
sacrificed to the fourth. Therefore let the disciple refrain from taking life and let him
nourish that which is lowest with the produce of the second.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group know that life is one and naught can
ever take or touch that life. Let the group know the vivid, flaming, drenching Life that
floods the fourth when the fifth is known. The fifth feeds on the fourth. Let then the
group - merged in the fifth - be nourished by the sixth and seventh and realize that all
the lesser rules are rules in time and space and cannot hold the group. It onward moves in
- For Applicants: Let the disciple turn his attention to the enunciating of those
sounds which echo in the hall where walks the Master. Let him not sound the lesser notes
which awaken vibration within the halls of Maya.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group life emit the Word of invocation and
thus evoke response within those distant Ashrams where move the Chohans of the race of
men. They are no longer men as are the Masters but having passed beyond that lesser stage,
have linked Themselves with the Great Council in the highest Secret Place. Let the group
sound a dual chord, reverberating in the halls where move the Masters but finding pause
and prolongation within those radiant halls where move the Lights which carry out the Will
- For Applicants: When the disciple nears the Portal, the greater seven must awaken
and bring forth response from the lesser seven upon the double circle.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group find within itself response to the
greater seven groups which carry out the hierarchical will with love and understanding.
The group contains all seven, the perfect group. The lesser seven, the greater seven and
the planetary seven form one great whole, and these the group must know. When this is
realized and the Law of the Supplementary Seven is understood let the group understand the
Three and then the One. This they can do with the united breath and the unified
- For Applicants: Let the disciple merge himself within the circle of the other
selves. Let but one color blend them and their unity appear. Only when the group is known
and sensed can energy be wisely emanated.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group know there are no other selves. Let
the group know there is no color, only light; and then let darkness take the place of
light, hiding all difference, blotting out all form. Then - at the place of tension, and
at that darkest point - let the group see a point of clear cold fire, and in the fire
(right at its very heart) let the One Initiator appear Whose star shone forth when the
Door first was passed.
- For Applicants: The Army of the Voice, the devas in their serried ranks work
ceaselessly. Let the disciple apply himself to a consideration of their methods; let him
learn the rules whereby the Army works within the veils of maya.
- For Disciples and Initiates: The rules for work within the veils of maya are
known and have been used. Let the group widen all the rents within those veils and thus
let in the light. Let the Army of the Voice be no more heard and let the brothers onward
move within the Sound. Then let them know the meaning of the OM and let them hear that OM
as it is sounded forth by Him Who stands and waits at the very center of the Council
Chamber of the Lord.
- For Applicants: Let the disciple transfer the fire from the lower triangle to the
higher and preserve that which is created through the fire at the midway point.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group together move the fire within the
jewel in the Lotus into the Triad and let them find the Word which will carry out that
task. Let them destroy by their dynamic Will that which has been created at the midway
point. When the point of tension is reached by the brothers at the fourth great cycle of
attainment, then will this work be done.
- For Applicants: Let the disciple learn to use the hand in service; let him seek
the mark of the Messenger in his feet and let him learn to see with the eye which looks
out from between the two.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group serve as Aquarius indicates; let
Mercury speed the group upon the upward Way and let Taurus bring illumination and the
attainment of the vision; let the mark of the Savior, as the group toils in Pisces, be
seen above the aura of the group.
- For Applicants: Four things the disciple must learn and comprehend before he can
be shown the inmost mystery: first, the laws of that which radiates; the five meanings of
magnetization make the second; the third is transmutation or the secret lost of alchemy;
and lastly, the first letter of the Word which has been imparted, or the hidden name
- For Disciples and Initiates: Let the group get ready to reveal the hidden
mystery. Let the group demonstrate the higher meaning of the lessons learnt, and these are
four and yet are one. Let the group understand the Law of Synthesis, of unity and fusion;
let the threefold mode of working with that which is dynamic carry the group together
towards the Higher Three where the Will of God holds sway; let Transfiguration follow
Transformation and may Transmutation disappear. Let the OM be heard right at the center of
the group, proclaiming God is All.
- For Applicants: Listen, touch, see, apply, know.
- For Disciples and Initiates: Know, express, reveal, destroy and resurrect.
Part II - The Rays and the Initiations
Section One - The Aspirant and the
Mysteries of Initiation
The Entering of the two Doors of Initiation
The Door of Initiation
The Door to the Way of Higher Evolution
The Entering of the Ashram
The Seven Groups of Ashrams within the
The Seven Paths confronting the Master
1. The Path of Earth Service
2. The Path of Magnetic Work
3. The Path of Training for Planetary
Certain Hierarchical Changes
4. The Path to Sirius
5. The Ray Path
6. The Path the Logos Himself is on
7. The Path of Absolute Sonship
The World Tension Analyzed
The Dual Life of the Initiatory Process
The Dual Life of the Disciple
The Dual Existence of the Master
The Science of the Antahkarana
Building the Antahkarana
The Nature of the Antahkarana
The Bridge between the three Aspects of
The Bridge as the Agent of Alignment
The Technique of Construction
Construction of the Antahkarana - Past
Construction of the Antahkarana in the Aryan Race - Present
Stages of the Building Process
4. Invocation and Evocation
5. and 6. Stabilization and Resurrection
Immediate Task Ahead
Ray Methods used in the Construction Process
Reflective Contemplation on Constructing the Antahkarana
The Meaning of the Initiatory Process
Fusion of the Master's Consciousness with
that of the Disciple
Impression on the Mind of the Disciple of
Section Two - The Aspirant and the
The Aspirant and the Major Initiations
The Relation of the Seven Rays to the Initiations
The Rays and the Five Initiations confronting Humanity
Initiation I - The Birth at Bethlehem -
Initiation II - The Baptism in Jordan -
Initiation III - The Transfiguration -
Initiation IV - The Renunciation - Ray IV
particular Type of Energy involved and its Initiatory Effect
of the Energy of Harmony through Conflict upon Humanity
of the Ray of Love-Wisdom as it controls the Ray of
Harmony through Conflict and implements
the Return of the Christ
of the Ray of Harmony through Conflict in the modern
World of Nations
of Fourth Ray Activity upon the individual Disciple
The Rays of Aspect and the Higher Initiations
Initiation V - The Revelation - Ray I
of Ray I on Humanity Today
Initiation VI - Decision - Ray III
The Seven and the Nine Initiations of our Planetary Life
The Significance of the Initiations
I - The Birth at Bethlehem
II - The Baptism in Jordan
III - The Transfiguration
IV - The Great Renunciation or Crucifixion
V - The Revelation
The Part which Energy Plays in Inducing Revelation
The Place that the Will Plays in Inducing Revelation
VI - The Decision
VII - The Resurrection
VIII - The Great Transition
IX - The Refusal
Five Great Spiritual Events
1. The Crisis of the Ideologies
2. Man's steady Awakening to better
3. The Growth of Goodwill and the
Revelation of Cleavages
4. The partial Sealing of the Door where
5. The Use of the Great Invocation
Stanzas for Disciples
The Cup of Karma
The Listening Pilgrim
An Esoteric Fragment
The Hidden Portal
An Occult Message
A Fire Mantram